Nov 30, 2010

Writing Center Shadow--better late than never

Well I have been unfortunate in my shadowing at the Writing Center. So far since my last posting nearly ALL of my tutors appointments have been canceled. I was however able to meet up with her at different times in order to get some more shadowing under my belt.

My writing tutor and I meet up with one student the other day who had no idea entirely how to go about picking a topic for her paper. She was writing a CORE paper on "Brave New World," and for any one who has read it before you know that you can write just about on any topic from that book, so I can see why she was having a hard time narrowing down the topics. After discussing with her sometime on the VERY brief guidelines of the paper we were able to narrow it down to medicine correlations in "Brave New World" and medications in today's day in age. It was actaully pretty interesting when we started discussing the correlations and connections.

This section just really highlighted for me how a student can come in no matter what stage they are in to come into the writing center. This female student had nothing written what so ever, only with her book and brief instructions. And from that we brainstormed ideas and got her inspired to write on a topic that she was interested in. Go us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment