Nov 30, 2010

Boys & Girls Club (first visit)

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed with my first visit to the Boys & Girls Club. Long and I had two different children during are time at the center, both were good kids but neither had any work done on their Digital Story project. Our second student did in fact have someone in mind to interview, so that was a slight improvement then the first boy we were assigned but who had to leave. I guess its hard to have kids do assignments done for something other than school work since their are no repercussions.

I was slightly horrified in the fact that neither of our students had any idea on the basic questions to interview a person in order to get a sense of who they are. The only question that the students both came up with was "what year were you born?" besides that it was like pulling teeth in order to help them discover how to interview someone.

I know they are just middle school/junior high students but I guess I just expected a little more enthusiasm to be doing this project or at least a little more conversation. Maybe it was intimidating to have two college students looming over them and asking a whole bunch of questions that they did not have answers to yet. Maybe next time their teachers/counselors/whoever there overseers are will have them slightly more prepared.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about the Digital Story Project at B&G Club. The student that me and Addy worked with brought none of her materials during the 3 weeks and it proved to be much less productive than I'd hoped. Either way, I hope it works out well in the end for all students involved.

    ReplyDelete