Sep 27, 2010

Why am I taking this class?

I think at this time in my blog (before I get too far down the line in this class) to explain why am I taking this English 383 class...the answer is I'm not taking this class to be a writing consultant. I originally registered for this class to fulfill a requirement for my teacher certification for Florida. I've wanted to become a teacher since high school and as the years go by the more and more I am steadfast on the idea. I'm hoping to be an English teacher for students not older than 5th grade, but as I take more Education classes here at Richmond I think I might work best with even younger than 5th grade (more like 2nd or 3rd).

As I said before, when I registered originally it was just to fulfill my teacher certification requirement, but since taking the class for these 5 weeks I have really been able to see much more of a benefit to taking this class. This class is helping me with my uncertainty of properly grading/editing papers. And for wanting to be an English teacher that is a very big component of what I am expected to be proficient in.

So for every essay we read in class and every blog I post (even though they are not many at this time) I am both thinking of the class from your perspectives (the perspective of becoming a writing consultant) and in a perspective of becoming a teacher (how can I take information from this class and use it in my future classroom).

1 comment:

  1. I too want to be a teacher as well, and I agree this class has several additional applications other than just preparing us how to be writing consultants. The class addresses grading issues as well as ways in which an English teacher could aid students in their writing.

    ReplyDelete