Sep 30, 2010

To Use the Comma, or Not Use the Comma? That is the question

In this week's lesson we are looking at Style vs Error, and what really got me thinking was the 20 common errors writers make that we read in the "Grammar Hammer" book. Upon review of the example sentences I found my problem to be if I should use a comma or a period in a particular sentence. I know in the past I have gotten many comments on teachers saying I have run on sentences or over use of commas, but how do I catch myself in this error? It is just confuses me if a pause should be the stopping point in the sentence or just a breaking point to continue. So the method of "Oh well if you pause in saying the sentence its a..." doesn't really work for me.

As suggested I went on the U of R Writers Web website and found the page concerning comma usage. It was very helpful in the way that it explained both my problems of run on sentences & comma splice. Also another resource that I commonly use for paper writing, Purdue OWL website, also covers tips on commas that I will definitely be using in the future.

Even though I find it embarrassing that (as an English major and college student) I don't have the best writing skills, im really happy in the fact that with this class when we are trying to learn how to be writing consultants my skills as a writer are being improved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment